[m-dev.] diff: detect linking with inconsistent grades

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Thu Oct 2 11:06:40 AEST 1997

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> I just got bitten by linking files that were compiled with incompatible
> options, so I decided it must be time to fix that...
>
> Can someone please review this change?

> Ensure that you get a link error if you attempt to link files
> compiled with different grades.

This is certainly a step forward.  But it would be better if mmake could
avoid the whole problem for you.  Couldn't you have foo.m compile into
foo_grade.o (eg, list.m -> list_asm_fast_gc.o)?  Then mmake have ensure
that each file was compiled in the right grade before even trying to link.

-Peter Schachte      URL:  http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/
pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU     PGP:  finger pets at 128.250.37.150 for key
    Do insects spend hours demammaling their programs?