When is a GC not a GC?

Thomas Charles CONWAY conway at cs.mu.oz.au
Tue May 27 16:31:42 AEST 1997

Hi

I have a program which uses unsorted_solutions (via unsorted_aggregate).
It runs for a while then dies with the following message:
	Too many heap sections: Increase MAXHINCR or MAX_HEAP_SECTS
	IOT trap/Abort
Needless to say this is rather annoying!

By adding a call to io__report_stats and watching the heap usage, I've
discovered that the GC doesn't seem to be reclaiming stuff. Actually,
it looks like no GC's are happening at all - which is rather odd.

I don't really know where to start looking for the problem, though
I have a suspicion that maybe builtin_solutions may be leaving round a
pointer to the (previous?) list of solutions which is fooling the GC.
Ideas anyone?

(If you're interested, the source can be found in
	/home/hyda/conway/star/
).

Thomas
--
ZZ:wq!
^X^C
Thomas Conway               				      conway at cs.mu.oz.au
AD DEUM ET VINUM	  			      Every sword has two edges.