[m-dev.] diff: start of new stack layouts.

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Sat May 24 17:15:01 AEST 1997

Tyson Richard DOWD, you wrote:

> Changes to clean up the collection of live value information. Instead of
> requesting shape numbers and outputting .garb files, we store the needed
> information for later processing, so we can generate typeinfos for such
> types later, when we create stack_layout tables.

General comment: I'm still not happy with the handling of partially
instantiated data structures.  I know you said that this is incomplete,
but I'm not convinced that the code in your diff can be easily extended
to handle them.  The design doesn't seem to support them.

> compiler/call_gen.m:
> 	- Don't request shape numbers for live data, store their types
> 	  instead.

That's not going to work for partially instantiated data structures.
How are you going to deal with them?
I think you need to store the insts too.

> compiler/llds.m:
> 	- Add new live_value_type, which describes a live value (succip,
> 	  curfr, maxfr, redoip, hp, var(type), unwanted).
> 	  This will replace the shape_num type.

Hmm, shouldn't that be var(type, inst) [or var(shape_num)?] instead?