[m-dev.] time.m

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Fri Jun 27 17:09:09 AEST 1997

Tyson Richard DOWD, you wrote:

> I'm thinking of adding some missing functionality in time.m (reporting
> time in seconds, a la clock() or something). If anyone has some
> requests, now is a good time to voice them. What's there is fine, but
> it's a bit too specific, I'd like some more primitive operations so that
> people can be more flexibile in doing their own timing.

That's fine with me.  But I'm not sure that they should necessarily
go in the same module as the stuff that is currently in time.m.

> Also, can we rename "time.m" as "timing.m"? I think time.m should be
> used for the module dealing with data types representing the concept of
> time, rather than actually reporting time usage and doing benchmarking.

I agree that the stuff in the current module -- report_stats/0,
benchmark_det, and benchmark_nondet, should not be called "time.m".
How about calling it "benchmarking.m"?