[m-dev.] From time.m

Tyson Richard DOWD trd at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Wed Jun 4 15:27:11 AEST 1997

> % benchmark_nondet(Pred, In, Count, Repeats, Time) is for benchmarking
> % the nondet predicate Pred. benchmark_nondet is similar to benchmark_det,
> % but since solutions/2 is not yet available in all grades, it can't
> % return the list of solutions, so it returns the count of solutions
> % as the next best thing.
>
> This is no longer true - solutions is available in all grades, although
> it isn't particularly efficient.  Is it worth fixing this?

Zoltan has just spoken to me about this, and suggested that we should
make two versions available - one that will just count the solutions
(the present version) and one that will return the list of solutions.
It is likely that with large solutions, the overhead of deep copying for
some grades will dwarf the running time of the predicate being
benchmarked.

Any comments?

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of