name collision for `sp'

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Thu Jul 17 02:57:13 AEST 1997

Hi,

Tom, your changes to io.m, specifically adding `#include <sys/file.h>',
cause the compiler to break on Solaris.  The problem that one of the
system headers included by <sys/file.h> defines a structure with
a field named `sp', but we use `sp' as a macro, and the net result
is a syntax error.

Could you please fix this, or back out your change to add io__lock_file?

P.S.
While investigating this problem, I checked the man page for flock()
on Solaris, and noticed the following:

	NAME
		flock - apply or remove an advisory lock on an open file

	NOTES
		Use of these interfaces should be restricted to only  appli-
		cations  written  on BSD platforms.  Use of these interfaces
		with any of the system libraries or in multi-thread applica-
		tions is unsupported.

This does not bode well...