[m-ads] Job Description: Software Engineer

Gavin Mendel-Gleason mendelgg at scss.tcd.ie
Tue Jan 30 04:14:03 AEDT 2018

Datachemist is a venture-funded startup in Dublin, Ireland, creating
next-generation data acquisition, modification and publishing software
using sophisticated logical models. We need motivated and mathematically
sophisticated engineers who are interested in taking the journey with us
far beyond the state-of-the-art in database programming and querying
facilities. This is a job for geeks only. If you don’t read papers at the
weekend for fun, or try your hand at implementing solutions to hard
problems just to scratch an itch, it’s probably not for you.

The successful candidate needs to prove a foundation in logic and
relational programming or formal logic. We need someone who not only
understands what subsumption or least fixed points are, but who can help us
write the fastest algorithms for implementing them.

The programming will take place in a range of languages including C, C++,
Prolog (swipl / Mercury), Python. The successful candidate need not know
all of these, but experience in the respective paradigms is essential. Any
experience in implementing persistent data structures or databases,
indexing strategies, concurrent query execution, query optimisation,
programme transformation etc. is a plus.

Join us in realising our vision of making Datachemist the world leader in
data modelling technologies and you’ll get to be part of computer science
history.

Salary: Competitive, with stock options

Useful Skills Include:

* Prolog (SWIPL, Mercury), C,C++, functional programming (OCaML, Haskell,
etc.), scripting (Python, PHP, Javascript)

* Database design or implementation: indexing strategies, transaction
management strategies, journaling

* Query optimisation and programme transformation for relational or logic
languages

* Experience with modelling languages, especially the OWL web ontology
language

* Concurrency with logic or functional programming languages

* Linux or other Unix experience

* LAMP stack experience

* Mathematical sophistication, especially logic (proof theory, model
theory, type theory, set theory)

Contact: Gavin Mendel-Gleason (mendelgg at scss.tcd.ie)