[m-users.] Question about any difference in efficiency on this code...

Sean Charles (emacstheviking) objitsu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 20:12:53 AEST 2023

I started out with this:

    get_random_value(0, 2, V, !IO),
    ( if V = 0 then
        Speed = 0.25, Color = color(gray)
    else if V = 1 then
        Speed = 0.75, Color = color(skyblue)
    else
        Speed = 1.25, Color = color(beige)
    ),
    Star = star(X, StarY, Speed, to_rgba(Color)).

end then, for some half0baked reason regarding not creating Speed and Color but instead directly returning Star...

    get_random_value(0, 2, V, !IO),
    ( if V = 0 then
        Star = star(X, StarY, 0.25, to_rgba(color(gray)))
    else if V = 1 then
        Star = star(X, StarY, 0.75, to_rgba(color(skyblue)))
    else
        Star = star(X, StarY, 1.25, to_rgba(color(beige)))
    ).

So, is there any real difference, or did I do something good / bad / indifferent at best?
Yes, I know it's a nit picking question but I am curious to know the relative speed / efficiencies , I am writing a game after all so being 1980-s paranoid, every cycle counts. I have '-O4' level optimisation in my build.

:D

Thanks
Sean.