[mercury-users] Error detection rate in Mercury vs Other Languages (esp C++ and Python)

Tomas By tomas at basun.net
Sat Dec 3 19:25:05 AEDT 2011

On Fri, December 2, 2011 22:05, Chris King wrote:
> Parser error reporting is a different beast entirely.  Useful parse
> error reporting is nontrivial.

Well, that's what I meant. Debugging the grammar rules.

(There were performance issues also, I seem to remember, with the
nondeterministic code, but I guess hw evolution has made that less
relevant.)

> I don't doubt you got more useful parse error messages out of your CPS
> parser than I do from my DCG one.

I did, though.

> why do you bother to use Mercury if you avoid
> nondeterminism and failure?

I don't avoid it completely. But it is only some single digit percentage
of the code.

To answer your question: Prolog syntax, type/mode checking, the combination
of logic programming and functional.

I do use Prolog also, so having the same format for the data is useful.

/Tomas