[mercury-users] mmc --make and --trans-intermod-opt

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon May 1 22:03:34 AEST 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Michael Day wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> > We are intending to replace both intermodule optimization and transitive
> > intermodule optimization with the intermodule analysis framework (the
> > `--intermodule-analysis' option).  When that is complete support for both
> > intermodule and transitive intermodule optimization will be removed.  In
> > short, it isn't supported by mmc --make because we're going to get rid of it.
>
> Awesome. Do you have a quick description of the new intermodule analysis
> framework and how it differs from the current system?

There's quite a bit of documentation for it analysis/README.

> Also, does it currently work, and is it worth testing? :)

It works but what remains to be done is convert a lot of the existing
optimisations to use it.  In particular inlining, higher-order
specialization and type specialization don't currently work with it, so
it's unlikely you'll see much benefit from it at the moment (of course
don't let that stop you testing it for us - and reporting any bugs ;-) )

Julien.