[m-users.] Nixos support

Anders Lundstedt mercury-users at anderslundstedt.se
Wed Oct 16 00:31:26 AEDT 2024

Frank:
> > I've build a flake for the extras-library and building under nixos.
> > Maybe you'll like it.
> >
> > https://github.com/frank87/mercury_flake

Thanks! As a Nix flake user I will check it out when I have time to
get back to my Mercury programming.

Volker:
> If understand correctly, you've written a recipe (a flake) for the Nix
> package manager. With it, the extra libraries can be built and installed.
> This works for most (all?) Unix like system, particularly the NixOS Linux
> distribution.
>
> Is that correct?

Yes, this is roughly correct. (Nix flakes allows many more features
than just installing packages. For Mercury programming perhaps the
most useful one is local development environments.) The nix package
manager should work on almost all—if not all—Linux distributions. It
also works on MacOS. I do not know about other Unix like systems.

Volker:
> Thanks for sharing. I'd like to add it to the list.

Pardon my ignorance, but what list? If Frank has not already answered
you off the mailing list then perhaps I may be able to provide a
suitable description for the list you are talking about.

Best,

Anders