[m-users.] An interaction with ChatGPTs "Code Copilot"

Anders Lundstedt mercury-users at anderslundstedt.se
Fri Jun 28 23:27:58 AEST 2024

Dear all,

I tried ChatGPTs "Code Copilot" (link to interaction log below) with
the intent to see if it could tell me how the fix the following
problem that took me embarrassingly long time to resolve. When I code,
I mainly do so in Python where the string type is named ‘str’. Thus I
typoed ‘uint_to_hex_str’ instead of ‘uint_to_hex_string’, and got the
thus expected error message.

I cannot say I am very impressed with Code Copilot's Mercury competence:

https://chatgpt.com/g/g-2DQzU5UZl-code-copilot/c/61c0abd5-8ab0-4e25-b2ab-0ca6d64673f4

(While my intent was to see if Code Copilot could help me with the
problem just mentioned, I got a bit carried away already at the start
and asked for advice on how to implement a parser for a markup
language. For its answer to the above problem, see the end of the
interaction log.)

(I have almost no prior experience interacting—for any purpose—with
large language models so I do not know how Code Copilot's Mercury
competence compares with its competence in more mainstream programming
languages.)

(To avoid a future dead URL in the mailing list archives, I tried
saving the above URL with the archive.org Wayback Machine, but it
seems that does not work.)

Best regards,

Anders Lundstedt