[m-users.] C compiler error

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Tue Feb 28 04:48:45 AEDT 2023

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 18:26:01 +0100, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:
> > In the future, when reporting a possible problem with an error message
> > that mentions some definitions (mq_module0 and mq_module1),
> > it would help if you included the CODE OF THOSE DEFINITIONS,
> > and not the definition of something unrelated, such as null_to_empty.
>
> Do you mean this:
>
> MR_BEGIN_MODULE(mq_module0)
> 	MR_init_entry1(mq__setup_mqs_5_0);
> 	MR_INIT_PROC_LAYOUT_ADDR(mercury__mq__setup_mqs_5_0);
> 	MR_init_label6(mq__setup_mqs_5_0, 2,5,14,3,8,10)
> MR_BEGIN_CODE

I did not mean anything in particular, because you did not include
any code mentioning mq_module0 in your original email. I knew that
mmc generates code of that form (I am a coauthor, both of the code
that writes out text such as the above, and of the C macros such as
MR_BEGIN_MODULE that turn it into a C function), but I also knew
that this code is extremely well tested, and would not cause any
diagnostics from the C compiler in the absence of some *very*
unusual circumstances.

> There is no other definition of mq_module0.

I saw two possibilities:

- either mq_module0 was the above kind of code generated by mmc, or
- it was some other code.

I thought both were very unlikely, for different reasons, one of which
is given above. I did not like effectively being required to guess
WHAT CODE NEEDED TO BE DEBUGGED, when you could have
just included that info in your initial email.

Zoltan.