[m-users.] Impurity needed?

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Wed Feb 22 03:23:04 AEDT 2023

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 12:23 AM Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, dem 21.02.2023 um 21:45 +1100 schrieb Mark Brown:

> > > I'm not saying that any kind of IO should be allowed inside transactions.
> > > But how could a programming language restrict it to the right kinds of
> > > IO?That isn't possible. It's the responsibility of the programmer to do it
> > > right. In your example, he has the responsibility to first check the balance
> > > of the account, before giving out the cash. You have to enable all kinds of
> > > IO, so the correct ones are possible.
> >
> > There's research being done in "coeffects" which I think includes
> > things such as only allowing certain types of I/O.  Mercury's I/O
> > mechanism can be thought of as a rudimentary coeffect system, and
> > that's how it's being used in the library, but I think people are also
> > interested in systems that allow more fine-grained control for
> > situations like this.  As to what's currently possible I'm not sure,
> > but I take your point about there being a need for at least some kinds
> > of I/O.
>
> Sounds advanced...

Perhaps so, I'm not sure of the current state of research.  Mercury
and Clean were doing it long ago, at least for I/O. :-)

> So you think it would be okay to add the IO state to transactions in the
> ODBC library? Such that IO in a transaction would be allowed? Of course the
> programmer needs to be pointed to the fact that his IO actions can't be
> backtracked.
>
> Zoltan said this was a very bad idea...

Right, it would be unsafe in much the same way as unsafe_{get,set}_io,
except the user's code wouldn't need to mention "unsafe" anywhere.  A
better solution would be to use those as needed, which would at least
alert people to the issue even if it can't be checked.

I mentioned coffects because some programming languages may be able to
restrict I/O to certain operations, such as read-only, for situations
like this.

Cheers,
Mark