[m-users.] Installed library not found

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Tue Sep 13 21:28:53 AEST 2022

> desktop ~/src/tt $ ./tt
> ./tt: error while loading shared libraries: libposix.so: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> The installed library is here:
>
> /usr/local/lib/mercury-srcdist-rotd-2022-09-
> 07/lib/mercury/lib/asm_fast.par.gc.stseg/libposix.so
>
> When I put the above path (the directory part of it) in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> variable, the program starts okay.

What you have is a mismatch between

- where the installed shared object is, and
- where the system looks for it.

You can fix this either

- by putting the shared object where the system expects it, or
- by telling to system to expect it where it is.

You did the latter by including that directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
You can also do it by installing the shared object into a directory
that is already in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Section 6.2.1 of the
user guide will tell you how.

Zoltan.