[m-users.] Web page about backends

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Thu Oct 27 00:19:46 AEDT 2022

Am Mittwoch, dem 26.10.2022 um 23:44 +1100 schrieb Julien Fischer:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022, Volker Wysk wrote:
>
> > The Mercury website seems to be outdated in several places. For instance,
> > the page about backends doesn't list the assembler backend, which is the
> > fastest, in my knowledge (https://mercurylang.org/about/backends.html).
>
> That page lists all four extant backends. I'm not sure what you mean
> by the assembler backend, but if you mean the backend that generates
> code for the asm_fast grade etc., that's the low-level C backend.
> (In asm_fast grade, the compiler emits a mix of C and assembly.)

Because of the names, I assumed the "asm_fast" grades was pure assembler.
And that "low-level C" meant pure, portable C.

I think you might get the impression that Mercury isn't a full-fledged
compiler of its own, because of the description of the low-level C-backend,
which doesn't say that it's a mixture of C and assembler.

Cheers,
Volker