[m-users.] A more precise determinism checker

Richard O'Keefe raoknz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:30:58 AEDT 2022

If I may take the liberty, I'd like to paraphrase part of what
I understand Zoltan to be saying:
 - as a rule, you get a particular determinism in Mercury
   because that is the determinism you *intend* to get,
 - we programmers need to understand the connection between
   what determinism we intend to get and how to get it,
 - if the compiler's rules are too complex, *we* won't
   understand them, and will be left poking hopelessly at
   the code hoping the error message will go away.

Don't let any of this discourage you.
Try to prove Zoltan wrong.

I will say that there are some application areas where high
levels of compile-time checking are worth it.  I am talking
to some people about a multi-year nationally distributed embedded
system, and I am trying to persuade them that the costs of
bugs in *this* environment make SPARK+Ada the right choice at
the edge, but it's hardly a typical application domain.