[m-users.] A question of style...

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Fri Mar 4 10:08:58 AEDT 2022

> ...in one of your videos you mentioned something called 'err' which you said puts errors into the source so you can read it.

Actually, I would bet that Paul was talking about the program called "error".
It is actually an ancient Unix program, dating from (I think) around 1980.
It does put error messages into the source code, but not so you can read it
(you can do that perfectly well outside of the source), but to put each message
next to the code it is complaining about.

It used to be part of most versions of Unix, but I have noticed that many recent
Linux distributions do not include it. Which is why the Mercury system contains
a version of it written in Mercury. (That's what Paul's recent email links to.)

Zoltan.