[m-users.] 22.01 beta release available

Fabrice Nicol fabrnicol at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 10:08:48 AEDT 2022

OK, so why test for a bootstapping compiler (configure.ac: 386-646) if it
is not useful at all -- I mean in the case of building an ROTD?
This configure step strikes me as a source of possible building issues for
ROTDs / releases.
In case that a slightly older yet "broken" Mercury compiler is in the PATH,
configure will fail, whereas it would build fine with a clean PATH. (This
is *not* what happened in my prior alert, but I stumbled into this a year
ago).

Why not deactivate this configure.ac chunk out of ROTDs, perhaps by
enforcing BOOTSTRAP_MC="", instead of AC_PATH_PROG(BOOTSTRAP_MC, mmc) in
configure.ac:376?
As long as mercury_compile.c is shipped with ROTDs, this AC_PATH_PROG m4
macro is only useful for building the git source code.