[m-users.] Installed mercury not detected by "configure"

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Wed Feb 9 03:47:10 AEDT 2022

Am Dienstag, dem 08.02.2022 um 23:59 +1100 schrieb Julien Fischer:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2022, Volker Wysk wrote:
>
> > I've unpacked mercury-srcdist-rotd-2022-02-07 and run "./configure ...". I
> > get this in the configure output:
> >
> > using grade 'asm_fast.gc' as the default grade for applications
> > configure: WARNING: Mercury compiler not yet installed -
> > ****    cannot use grade 'asm_fast.gc'
> > ****    using grade 'hlc.gc.pregen' to compile the compiler
> > ****    after installation is complete you may reinstall
> > ****    from scratch to have a faster compiler.
> > ****    NOTE: before reinstalling from scratch, ensure that the
> > ****    source tree is clean by running 'make realclean'. Not doing
> > ****    this may result in a broken Mercury installation.
> >
> > But I *have* a working Mercury installed. Why isn't it found?
>
> It probably was found -- that will be earlier in the configure output.
> The problem is most likely that it is not sufficiently up-to-date.

You're right:

looking for an already installed Mercury compiler to bootstrap with...
checking for mmc... /usr/local/lib/mercury-20.06.1/bin/mmc
checking whether the above mmc works and is sufficiently recent... no

Yet, the message is "Mercury compiler not yet installed"...

> > I can call the compiler with "mmc", it's in the PATH.
>
> In any case, the whole point of the source distribution is that you do
> not need a Mercury compiler / an up-to-date Mercury compiler to be
> installed on your system in order to build it.

I've downloaded this version, because I want the latest bugfixes.

Cheers,
Volker