[m-users.] ChatGPT

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Sat Dec 31 13:40:44 AEDT 2022

>> * do you know the programming language mercury?
>>
>> Yes, I am familiar with the programming language Mercury. Mercury is a
>> general-purpose logic programming and functional programming language,
>> with a strong static type system and a declarative syntax. It is
>> designed for writing and maintaining large, complex software systems and
>> is particularly well-suited for applications in which the ability to
>> reason about the code is important.

> It's doing somewhat better than it was earlier this month when I asked
> it to tell me about the Mercury programming languange.  Then it spat
> out a few (mostly accuarate) paragraphs and showed me the Hello World
> example, in Haskell!

It's amazing what these things are capable of, but they still break in
fundamental and unexpected ways, like it correctly abbreviates
destructive input to "di" and then a few paragraphs later redefines di
as "difference-in".

I'd be hesitant to run any code it generates without checking it first!

Michael

--
Prince: Print with CSS!
https://www.princexml.com