[m-users.] configure hangs on pi4...

Sean Charles (emacstheviking) objitsu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 22:53:56 AEST 2021

Hi,

I am trying to run configure for a minimal install but three times now it hangs on this:

:
:
checking return values of system... yes
checking to see if we can handle contexts blocking on IO... yes
checking to see if strings.h is needed for bzero... no
checking whether we can use gcc labels…

In another window, `top` shows this:

    PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
  90224 ubuntu    20   0    1788    460    392 R  99.7   0.0   8:31.07 conftest
  31307 ubuntu    20   0 3127160 374556 168292 S   4.3   9.6   2:52.44 firef

so it think it is doing *something* but who knows what! I wondered if anybody else had encountered this problem building mercury on a pi ?

Interestingly, hitting CTRL-C  interrupts the process and allows the script to complete so I am assuming that something in the test program caused the hang up. I am now waiting to see if the build will complete with errors, the script completed with this output:

the set of library grades to install will be
   hlc.gc

Configuring to install 1 grades.
This will likely take 10 to 30 minutes.
You can make the install faster by installing fewer grades
as shown by the fine-tuning section of the INSTALL file or by
compiling the files of each grade in parallel which you can do
via a command such as make PARALLEL=-j2 install.

Which I’ve seen a few times now and doesn’t seem to be indicative of any future problems, IIRC for my experience at least.

Thanks,
Sean