[m-users.] use of list.chunk and head clause determinism

Sean Charles (emacstheviking) objitsu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 00:00:25 AEDT 2021

It helps immensely as usual Zoltan, thank you.

For the record I am in the process of managing this: http://felt-lang.com/inst/alist <http://felt-lang.com/inst/alist> , ironically my own assoc-list !

I briefly looked at assoc-list a long time ago but now that my level of comfort with Mercury has grown considerably thanks to continued and repeated beatings from the compiler I will now take my code more seriously and review and refactor it. I knew deep down that a list of pairs was the way to go but I opted for progress at the time. If I go a week without some good advancements I feel like I should give up and walk away but I started this beast nine years ago and it won’t let me leave it alone until it’s done now.

Thanks Volker too, yes, messy to have it like that but for historic reasons it has to be compatiable with all the code that generates the site at the above shown like; the PHP, CSS and HTML for that site is all coded in FELT, it was dog-fooded and provided a great test case for the language as it evolved and so the new version will be a single binary executable that should drop-in replace all the PHP code and the site should still function. That’s my end proof-of-concept for it.

Going forward though I shall introduce into the parser the ability to assume a list of k, v, k, v,…. or if the current expression is [k v] that will also be acceptable so this ensures backwards compatibility but when I re-do the docs  and the site I can quietly drop support, maybe. Personally, the less I type the better when coding, thus making Mercury feel ironic at times but I wouldn’t chang a thing, I love it more and more.

Thanks again Zoltan and Volker,
Sean.