[m-users.] Segmentation violation on FFI wrapper for linenoise-ng

Sean Charles (emacstheviking) objitsu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 23:05:33 AEST 2021

Hi Julien,

Yes, the C++ code uses fgets() which returns NULL on end of file, one is supposed to then use feof() I guess but I didnt write that code.

As I am checking the value of LineNull first and foremost on return, I didn’t (still don’t!) see the harm in what I have done i.e. I only use the value in Line to call execute() with if LineNull is 0 i.e. there is something, even an empty line, in it. If you press RETURN, it allocates a zero length buffer but that is still a non-null address which should be fine, and seems to be the case.

See my other notice that it only happens the first time through the loop, if I enter a line, even a blank one, subsequent use of CTRL-D causes an orderly exit but if that is the first keystroke, kablooey!

I am still investigating…
Sean