[m-users.] Building Mercury on RiscOS, anybody tried ?

Sean Charles (emacstheviking) objitsu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 18:51:24 AEST 2021

I have RiscOS on a Pi4 with 4GB of RAM… and it occurred to me that, with the rigour and beauty of Mercury, it would make a wonderful development tool, the FFI layer would be the first goal I guess to talk to the native UI libraries etc.

I absolutely cannot believe how fast RiscOS runs even compared to 64-bit Ubuntu on the Pi, it feels like the good old days when a 1MHz 6502 was state of the art.

I wondered what the technical hurdles might be… initially setting up a compiler environment for one thing and then, addressing the ‘unusual’ way in which the RiscOS compiler addresses C files through a tree rather than a file extension, as I understand it so far.

It MIGHT be easier to cross compile for ARM7 on my Mac though, if that’s possible with Mercury ?!

Thanks
Sean