[m-users.] Trouble building on MSYS2 Win10

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Thu Apr 29 11:49:40 AEST 2021

Hi Mark,

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021, Mark Green wrote:

> I did try starting MSYS from a Windows Command Prompt, having updated
> the PATH in that Windows Command Prompt to include javac, but that
> also did not work, which implies that Mercury ignores the environment
> it was started in? There seems therefore to be no way to get this to
> work other than adding java to the default PATH for Windows which is a
> security risk. Is it necessary to do that?

On all Windows systems I have used it is sufficient just to include
the JDK in the MSYS2 PATH. The MSYS2 PATH should be inherited by child
processes started from it. Does that happen on your system? i.e.
if you run cmd.exe directly from the MSYS2 shell and then enter the
command:

     C:> echo %PATH%

does the resulting PATH contain what is in the MSYS2 PATH (suitably
transliterated from Unix style paths to Windows ones) or not?

Alternatively, if you compile the following C program in the MSYS
shell; does the PATH it outputs match what is in the MSYS2 PATH?

      #include <stdlib.h>

      int main(void) {
         system("echo %PATH%");
      }