[m-users.] What language and source file should the Windows version compile to?

DC galois at nycap.rr.com
Wed Oct 16 23:49:12 AEDT 2019

Hi Julien,

“You didn't answer my question about which version of Visual Studio you
are using”

I’m not using Visual Studio, and would prefer not to.I wanted to
generate straight .c or .java.  But the download itself has Visual
Studio in the name, so I was confused about whether it only generated
Visual Studio projects, or if all of the Mercury versions (the Windows
or Linux version) optionally generated any of the source options.   The
answer is yes, obviously, from what you are saying about the command
line options.

“The reason you're not getting an executable is that the final link step
is failing.”

On the original PC where I reported the problem, even the source code
wasn’t being generated.However, on a different PC that I tried yesterday
afternoon, it did generate the source.

mmc --no-restricted-command-line --grade java --make hello

Perfect, this is the kind of instruction I needed, thanks Julien.I’ll
look this up in the manuals, and also try to generate GNU .c (I think
that’s what was generated yesterday, but need to confirm that).

Anyway, you pointed me in the right direction.I’ll let the group know if
there’s any problem linking from .c source, or generating a .jar.

Regards,