[m-users.] What language and source file should the Windows version compile to?

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Wed Oct 16 14:02:26 AEDT 2019

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019, Julien Fischer wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, galois at nycap.rr.com wrote:

>>  I'm using the Windows/Visual Studio 2013 version of Mercury.
>
> What version of Windows and Visual Studio are you using? If it isn't
> Visual Studio 2013 and whatever version of Windows was used to build
> that package then you are probably going to encounter problems.

You didn't answer my question about which version of Visual Studio you
are using, but I'm going to take a guess that it's a version later than
2013 on the basis that I get the same behaviour with later versions.

The problem with later versions of Visual Studio is that Microsoft made
some breaking changes to their libc; the Mercury Windows/Visual Studio
2013 will *not* work with later versions of Visual Studio.

The reason you're not getting an executable is that the final link step
is failing.  (IIRC, Mercury 14.01 didn't pass the error messages from
the linker back correctly, which is why you are not seeing indication
of that happening other than the final executable not being present.)

Julien.