[m-users.] What language and source file should the Windows version compile to?

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Wed Oct 16 01:04:46 AEDT 2019

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 13:50:50 +0000, galois at nycap.rr.com wrote:
> 	I thought there was a default.

There is. The default is set by the configure script when Mercury is installed.

> The tutorial doesn't mention setting a
> language, it just gets right into examples, and how to compile on the
> command line.

The tutorial doesn't mention that because it is not necessary at that point;
the default should work. For example, mmc --make hello should generate
an executable file for you. If it doesn't, then something went wrong.

And in that case, we need a more detailed bug report than "something
went wrong". We will need to know, for example, exactly what command
you are running and what its exact output is. Depending on the symptoms,
the output of the configure script executed at install time would help as well.

> 	I'm willing to work with .net. But if there's a choice, I'd prefer to
> generate java code, or plain .c. Does the windows version do that, or
> is it necessary to run one of the linux versions?

Yes, you can select many aspects of how your code is compiled,
including the target language, regardless of the OS. See section 9
of the users' guide.

> 	I'm just trying to work through the tutorial. But the process of
> generating a runnable module, seems to be more complicated than the
> tutorial lets on.

The point of a tutorial is to start simple, and add complexity gradually.

Zoltan.