[m-users.] Log parsing benchmark

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon Jun 24 13:43:10 AEST 2019

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019, jfondren at minimaltype.com wrote:

> The main benefit that I've gotten from this benchmark is from seeing how
> I could answer the question "OK, how can I speed this up?" in different
> languages. Mercury solution #1 is one of the slower solutions, and
> Mercury solution #2 is already one of the very best. (I'm divided on
> how cheaty that solution is though. Just look at getline.m)

I don't think using the foreign language interface for its intended
purpose really counts as "cheaty".  If it is, then the version that
uses io.read_line_as_string is also "cheaty" since it ultimately does
a similar thing.  (Or does the fact that the latter is done inside
the standard library mean that it's not cheating?)

Julien.