[m-users.] newbe tutorial on development workflow and debugging

Daniel Gross grossd18 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 18:52:32 AEST 2019

Hi Sean,

Thanks.

So, how do you debug your code ... by adding inline writes ...

I see step by step tracing of a program / debugging as part of the learning
opportunity during problem solving.

Would emacs be the only way to get a good debugging view -- i understand
that there also exists an eclipse plugin -- but it looks dated.

thanks,

Daniel

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 11:46 AM emacstheviking <objitsu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> O too am learning Mercury from using Prolog since 2012...and to be honest,
> I use to things daily. Mostly I use Emacs and metal-mercury-mode but if
> that sounds a bit daunting I can also highly recommened using Microsofts
> VSCode (not visual studio). It has a mercury plugin that does syntax
> highlighting and that's all but that's enough.
>
> https://github.com/ahungry/metal-mercury-mode
>
> https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=brendanzab.mercury
>
> I am not sure about the debugging aspect as I have not had cause to use
> one yet.
>
> All thebest,
> Sean.
>

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 09:21, Daniel Gross <grossd18 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new to Mercury and have done some development work in Prolog. I and
>> am very interested in trying this out -- possibly, as an alternative to C /
>> C++ coding (i.e. to generate high level C code).
>>
>> Is there a tutorial that shows how to set up a development environment
>> and how best to work -- i like interactive work approaches (IDEs) with
>> visual debuggers -- is this possible to do as well?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Daniel

Dr. Daniel Grosshttp://www.linkedin.com/in/grossd18

“Predicting rain doesn’t count. Building arks does.” — Warren Buffett