[m-users.] New Debian packages

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon Dec 17 15:33:34 AEDT 2018

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 03:45:57 +0000 (UTC), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>>> That was a false alarm -- I do get those warnings, but the code
>>> compiles and runs anyway.
>>
>> Depending on which versions GCC / glibc you are using the resolution to
>> that situation is to put GCC into gnu99 or gnu11 mode, since
>> _{BSD,SVI}_SOURCE will be defined if GCC thinks that it's targetting an
>> older dialect of C.  That may not be necessary for more recent GCC's
>> which, apparently, no longer think that it is 1989.
>
> The obvious question is: why isn't the configure script doing that?

Because it hasn't been an issue until now ;-).

Assuming that the above actually is the problem -- I don't have a system
running that version of Unbuntu to hand to to confirm that with -- then
we will get the configure script to do just that. The background for
this is that stopped using -ansi with GCC some time ago (that basically
implied C89).  Since then the C dialect has defaulted to whatever GCC
defaults to.  For the GCC 4.X releases that's been GNU 89 + "some C99
features".  (That's been largely sufficient for us since we've also been
trying to maintain compatiblity with MSVC.)

Julien.