[m-users.] Fwd: Beginner question: How to use an installed library

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon Sep 7 20:11:14 AEST 2015

Hi Zoltan,

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 18:53:24 +1000 (AEST), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>> The problem that Dirk encountered is actually a general "gotcha" with
>> Mercury shared libraries on OS X: altering the value of
>> --install-prefix after the .dylib files have been generated may result
>> in a broken library installation -- the install prefix has to be set
>> consistently across the entire build.
>>
>> I'll add a paragraph to the user's guide describing the problem and
>> the possible resolutions.
>
> Couldn't we rebuild the .dylib files during the install process if needed?

Actually, we should already be able to do that if --track-flags is
enabled.  (Assuming that, --install-prefix is one of the flags tracked
by that option -- it it isn't, it should be.)

Another approach would be to get --make to look up the install name of
any already generated .dylibs, and force them to be relinked if they
don't much the compiler's current setting of --install-prefix.

I can take a look at the latter.

Julien.