[m-users.] Too Slow

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Tue May 12 17:56:24 AEST 2015

Hi,

On Mon, 11 May 2015 18:19:46 +0100, matthias.guedemann at googlemail.com (Matthias Güdemann) wrote:

> ok, I chose the lazy solution to convert to string and then use
> from_string to get the correct value. But isn't this a problem in int.m,
> too?
>
> ,----
> | abs(Num, Abs) :-
> |     ( Num < 0 ->
> |         Abs = 0 - Num
> |     ;
> |         Abs = Num
> |     ).
> `----

Right.  int.m says "The behaviour of a computation for which overflow
occurs is undefined."  abs(min_int) silently returns a negative value
for you; on another system it can (and does) crash instead.

If int.m checked for overflow then abs(min_int) would throw an
exception, so you still need to avoid it.

This definition of mp_int does not convert to string:

mp_int(N) = Res :-
    ( N < 0 ->
        ( N = min_int ->
            % Avoid `-min_int' as it overflows.
            mp_init(-(min_int + 1), M),
            Res = -(M + one)
        ;
            mp_init(-N, M),
            Res = -M
        )
    ;
        mp_init(N, Res)
    ).

mp_init/3 still has a call to mp_set_int that should be
mp_set_long_long.

Peter