[m-users.] mmc option parallel

Matthias Güdemann matthias.guedemann at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:43:38 AEDT 2015

Hi Paul,

> I believe that the long term solution is to make a clear separation
> between options and grade components.  And possibly to abstract away
> grades altogether.  A user should be able to say "I want parallelism"
> and get it, as you suggest, by the system choosing the best parallel
> grade available.

exactly

>From a user perspective, 'deep-profiling', 'debug', 'decl-debug',
'parallel', etc. are *features* one wants to have in a program. With the
exception of 'parallel', this works by specifying a single option. For
the time being, I will use my proposed solution to simplify my use-case
for me, maybe limiting the option implication to 'asm_fast' only.

For me personally, parallelism in general and implicit parallelism in
particular, is a very interesting feature of Mercury.

Best regards
Matthias