[m-users.] Installing 13.05.1 on Older Mac PPC-G5 and OS X 10.5.8

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Apr 21 11:48:11 AEST 2015

Hi,

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Paul Bone wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 05:19:26PM -0700, Delmas Buckley wrote:

>> I just do basic programming in Mercury, and, if possible, I'd like to be
>> able to do some simple profiling. My question is: which options, if any,
>> should I be using to accomplish those things?
>>
>> $ sudo make install --enable-libgrades=< . . . >
>>

> --enable-libgrades is a ./configure option.  There is a way to control this
> at the "make install" stage by setting the LIBGRADES variable.
>
> $ sudo make LIBGRADES=... install
>
> I'm afraid the grades situation is complicated.  I want to improve the
> documentation on this very soon.  But for now I suggest choosing either
> "reg" or "none" for your LLDS base grade.  Reg may be faster but we haven't
> tested it (or anything else) on a PPC machine for a long time, you're in
> uncharted territory.

I'd suggest using "none" as the LLDS base grade.  "reg" certainly worked
with OS X 10.3 and 10.4 on PPC, but I don't think we ever tested it with
10.5 on PPC.  (That was the point that the Intel Macs came out.)

My suggestion would be to avoid the low-level C backend on this platform
unless it is absolutely required (e.g. for debugging or deep profiling).
A reasonably minimal set of grades that would meet the above
requirements might be:

     hlc.gc
     hlc.gc.prof
     hlc.gc.memprof

> This gives you "hlc.gc" which will probably be much faster than "reg.gc",

There is no "probably" about it, hlc.gc *is* a lot faster then reg.gc.

Cheers,
Julien.