[m-users.] Mode selection

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Fri Oct 17 01:00:04 AEDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Paul Bone <paul at bone.id.au> wrote:
> This was also one of my concerns, that in a specification we don't want to
> over-specify details that don't affect the declarative semantics.  However,
> that depends on how much the reference manual is a "reference manual" and
> how much it is a "specification".
>
> I agree that this information should be in the reference manual but
> with a note saying that Mercury implementations are free to choose their own
> algorithm and that we're describing (rather than prescribing) the behaviour
> of mmc.

Just to clarify, I think there should be a prescribed definition, but
only applying to the strict sequential semantics. My answer to Michael
was no because the full definition didn't belong in the Modes chapter,
not because it didn't belong in the reference manual, and not because
the Modes chapter couldn't be more informative. Sorry for the
confusion.

Cheers,
Mark.