[m-users.] Mercury Memory Management

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Fri Mar 14 15:40:23 AEDT 2014

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 19:14:01 -0700, Haitao Zhang <zhtprog at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I use Mercury purely functionally/declaratively and store all states
> through the FFI so that when control returns from Mercury there is no need
> to preserve any Mercury data structures, could I disable GC and expect no
> memory leak?

No, you cannot expect that.

>  I read that one can compile with no GC and Mercury heap will
> be reclaimed on backtracking. Does that include returning from a
> det/semidet predicate?

No. Returning from a det predicate, and returning from a semidet
predicate with success, are not backtracking.

> There was a compile time GC branch with activity as recent as 2008, What
> happened to that branch? What about the region based memory management
> module?

Neither is ready for production use, and neither is actively maintained.
They were built by graduate students who have since finished their studies
and moved on to other things.

Zoltan.