[m-users.] Mercury with Guile (was Re: installation failure (Mercury 14.01))

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Aug 12 14:49:03 AEST 2014

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Tomas By wrote:

> On Sun, August 3, 2014 09:51, Peter Wang wrote:
>> The following program works for me, though it's not very comprehensive.
>>
>> I built Guile against Mercury's par_gc library by setting BDW_GC_CFLAGS
>> and BDW_GC_LIBS when configuring Guile.  I needed to comment out a call
>> to GC_dump as it does not exist in Mercury's build.
>
> I'm trying to understand this, and I was able to compile and run t.m
> without any modifications to environment variables (which is what I assume
> BDW_GC_FLAGS and BDW_GC_LIBS are) or commenting out stuff in Guile source
> code.
>
> Can the problem be that I am compiling the Mercury stuff into a library?

For use by Guile extensions presumably?  So in your case, Guile would be
performing its GC initialisation before Mercury I guess.  (Which is the
oppposite of Peter's example.)

If Guile and Mercury set up the collector in a similar fashion, maybe we
could provide a mechanism for bypassing Mercury's initialisation of the
GC.  (You would probably still need to link against Mercury's modified
collector though.)

Cheers,
Julien.