[m-users.] How do you go about logging?

Left Right olegsivokon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:20:54 AEST 2014

Thanks for reply! But wouldn't you mind elaborating a bit? Here's what
I've tried, with the error message that resulted:

% e3.m:011: Error: trailed mutable in non-trailing grade.
% e3.m:018: In clause for `nonedivides(in, out)':
% e3.m:018:   in argument 2 of call to predicate `io.write_string'/3:
% e3.m:018:   unique-mode error: the called procedure would clobber
its argument,
% e3.m:018:   but variable `STATE_VARIABLE_IO_9' is still live.
% e3.m:020:   The goal could not be reordered, because it was followed by an
% e3.m:020:   impure goal.
% e3.m:016:   This is the location of the impure goal.

:- mutable(logging_level, int, 0, ground, []).

:- pred nonedivides(int::in, list(int)::out) is semidet.
nonedivides(_, []).
nonedivides(Test, [Factor | Factors]):-
    trace [io(!IO), state(logging_level, !LoggingLevel)]
    (!.LoggingLevel > 1 ->
     io.write_string("Factor = ", !IO),
     io.write(Factor, !IO),
     io.nl(!IO) ; true),
    Factor mod Test \= 0, nonedivides(Test, Factors).

Sorry, I have to admit that I am completely at a loss interpreting the
message. Apparently the example in the documentation is not enough to
produce the output. It probably means I need to add some... compiler
options? declarations of ...? To me it looks like it completely didn't
understand what the code was supposed to do because it tries to treat
!IO variable not in the way it should (?) or am I completely off the
mark?

Best,

Oleg