[m-users.] seg fault, 64 bit

Tomas By tomas at basun.net
Sat Jun 8 09:31:15 AEST 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am using the default grade (asm_fast?)

What confuses me is that it is not that much data, and 3GB is a ridiculous
amount of stack. I have run (what I believe to be) bigger computations on
32 bit machines with less than a GB total memory (this machine has 8GB).

I do not have any tail(or mistakenly non-tail)-recursive functions in my
code, only foldl's and traversal of recursive data structures.

The code that causes the problem is this:

| :- type tnfstats--->
tnfs(vstats,vstats,vstats,vstats,map(int,int),map(reftype,int)).
| :- type vstats ---> vs(int,int,int,map(string,int),int,int).
| :- func new_vs = vstats.
| new_vs = vs(0,0,0,map.init,0,0).
|
| :- pred tnfiles_stats(list(tnfile)::in,tnfstats::out) is det.
| tnfiles_stats(Fs,Stats) :-
|   Stats0 = tnfs(new_vs,new_vs,new_vs,new_vs,map.init,map.init),
|   foldl(tnfile_stats,Fs,Stats0,Stats1),
|   Stats1 = tnfs(SS,PS,OS,RS,Cmap,Rmap),
|   map.foldl((pred(_::in,V::in,M0::in,M::out) is det :-
|     ( map.search(M0,V,N) ->
|       map.det_update(V,N+1,M0,M)
|     ; map.det_insert(V,1,M0,M) )),Cmap,map.init,Imap),
|   Stats = tnfs(SS,PS,OS,RS,Imap,Rmap).
|
| :- pred tnfile_stats(tnfile::in,tnfstats::in,tnfstats::out) is det.
| tnfile_stats(file(_,Chunks),!Stats) :-
|   foldl(chunk_stats,Chunks,!Stats).
|
| :- pred chunk_stats(chunk::in,tnfstats::in,tnfstats::out) is det.
| chunk_stats(chunk(_,_,_,_,_,Triples),!Stats) :-
|   foldl(triple_stats,Triples,!Stats).

where triple_stats/3 updates the tnfstats (no recursive calls).

Should I use some other data structure than map's?

The tnfile's vary a bit in size (by a factor ten or so), and there are
around a thousand of them.

Shouldn't the stack be back to `zero' at each iteration of
`foldl(tnfile_stats,Fs,Stats0,Stats1)' ?

If not, how does your suggestion to split the loops help?

(Will try your other suggestions)

/Tomas