[mercury-users] Re: Fwd: Tools, binaries, bootstrapping, ontologies

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 30 13:58:40 AEST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 04:59:22PM +0200, Gábor Bakos wrote:
> On 29 May 2012 03:56, Paul Bone <pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>
> There are a lot of targets, as you suggest.
> >
> > Our solution is to bootstrap through a C compiler, such as GCC.
> >
> > The tarballs that you'll find on the website have pre-built C code.  They
> > will
> > use that to build the compiler if you don't already have a Mercury compiler
> > installed.
> >
> > A C compiler _is_ a requirement.
> >
> Thanks. I have to admit I prefer a .jar file, or a .NET .dll, but I guess
> that is just a personal preference. :)

Noted,

> > There is vim syntax highlighting support.  Once you download Mercury there
> > is a
> > vim subdirectory with the files.  There's nothing else at this stage, we
> > encourage contributions :-)
> >
> I am thinking of doing a simple eclipse plugin for Java target, I hope it
> will not be too hard to do with Xtext. Although I cannot promise anything
> yet. The most problematic part might be the build system in the beginning I
> guess (and after that code completion, ...). In case I can do something
> usable is there an API for Mercury that I can use for querying the
> compatible types and similar things? (Sorry, I have not dig deep in the
> compiler yet.)
> Thanks for your answers. Cheers, gabor

There's no library with that much detail.  There's a very small library that is
shared between some of the tools, but I'm not sure how much it would help if at
all.

The build system.. You run mmc --make my_project and you get a binary :-)

Well, there's more too it than that, the details are in the manual.

I'm not familiar with eclipse or Xtest so I can't comment further.