[mercury-users] Compiler Construction and Expert Systems

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Wed Mar 21 15:57:37 AEDT 2012

Hi Alex,

On 14 March 2012 02:23, Alexsandro Soares <prof.asoares at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I'm considering to use Mercury for an undergraduate project mixing
> Compiler Construction and Intelligent Tutoring System. I have the following
> doubts:
> 1 - Is Mercury compiler a good tool for compiler construction? Is there any
> generator for lexical and/or syntactic analysers built specifically for
> Mercury? If not, is easy integrate tools like flex and bison with Mercury?

Yes Mercury is very good for compiler construction.

If you are willing to use prolog terms to describe your language then
you can use the same parser that the Mercury language uses to parse
Mercury modules.

> 2 - How much harder is it to do an expert system engine in Mercury compared
> to Prolog? Is there any metaprogramming technique available in Mercury,
> maybe using something like op/3 as in Prolog?

I have no idea how much harder it is, but I've found meta-programming
in Mercury to be more difficult as you can only use ground terms in a
Mercury program.

> If possible, I would like some references to articles, books or source code
> related to compiler construction or expert systems made in Mercury.

Unfortunately the only compiler written in Mercury it the Mercury
compiler itself.  If you look in the
compiler/notes/compiler_design.html you can see an overview of how the
Mercury compiler is built.

Peter