[mercury-users] best practices for packaging libraries

Michael Hendricks michael at ndrix.org
Tue Jul 10 00:22:52 AEST 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Sean Johnson <sean at snootymonkey.com> wrote:

> What are the libraries? I'm curious.

One library calculates Levenshtein edit distance and generates rudimentary
patches indicating which edits are along the shortest path.  Eventually one
will be able to apply those patches to a data structure to obtain the
edited version, but that's not implemented yet.  The edit distance
algorithm is done in terms of a type class so that it works with anything
that can be converted to/from a list.

The second library is a basic implementation of the Test Anything
Protocol<http://testanything.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>.
 It's been convenient to have my Mercury tests follow the protocol so that
they fit into my existing testing infrastructure.

One suggestion would be to put each of your libraries in a public github
> repo. Then we can have a wiki list of Mercury libraries that's linked from
> the mercurylang.org site. Authors of new libraries can simply add their
> library's public repo to the wiki with a description of what it does.

That's a great idea and an excellent fit for the size of our community.
 I'd be glad to use my libraries to start the process.  If you need any DNS
records set up under mercurylang.org, let me know.  I own the domain name.

--
Michael