[mercury-users] Adventures in Mercury

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Mar 28 12:22:48 AEDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 11:27:17PM -0400, Chris King wrote:
> I've started a blog with the ultimate goal of helping foster the
> Mercury community, titled Adventures in Mercury:
> http://adventuresinmercury.blogspot.com/
>
> I'm starting with a series on Mercury-based solutions to Project Euler
> problems from a computational (rather than analytical) perspective.  I
> hope that these will be of value to those learning Mercury; I've
> already found them to be of value to myself.
>
> Comments, questions, and suggestions are of course welcome and would
> be appreciated :)

Thanks very much for your effort!!  This looks promising.

Can I comment on the blog it's self?

I would say for Project Euler question 2.

How do you determine that the accumulator introduction requires the
associativity promise.  In other words, if I'm writing some other program and
say --introduce-accumulators, how do I know that mmc didn't introduce the
accumulator that I expected it to, and how do I know that it needs an
associativity promise for integer addition.

Please pretend that I'm a new Mercury user and not a Mercury implementor.
(Even as a Mercury implementor I don't know this, I'd probably read the
docs/source to find out).

As well as covering the project Euler problems I suggest you look at some
problems that make use of nondeterminism (such as n-queens).  And some problems
that show good practices when using the type system.

Thanks again!