[mercury-users] prallel grades in windows

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Sep 12 15:00:22 AEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 08:30:40AM +0400, Sergey Khorev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone use parallel grades under Windows?
> pthread_t is a structure in pthreads-win32 2.8.0 so I had to update
> some Mercury runtime code which uses comparison and assignment from
> NULL.
> extras/concurrency/philo runs ok for some time in hlc.par.gc but then
> crashes with corrupted stack making it very difficult to track its
> cause. Any ideas?

I don't know of anyone using parallel/concurrent grades under Windows or if we
consider this particular combination supported.

Debugging this kind of error will be very difficult without specific knowledge
of the Mercury runtime system, and compilation strategy.  Such a bug could
also be within the garbage collector.

You could compile Mercury with some debugging instrumentation, by defining the
MR_DEBUG_THREADS C macro.  There are some other macros you can define to get
more detailed information, but I can't confirm their names with a quick grep
and I'm not sure what effect they have on hlc grades.  Also note that you may
be looking at a Heissenbug, which is common with parallelism.

Good luck.