[mercury-users] segmentation violation with wrong syntax sources

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 29 16:01:46 AEST 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Peter Wang wrote:

> On 2010-06-29, Paul Bone <pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:03:13AM +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course, the compiler should not crash anyway.  This is a known
>>> problem when installing from the precompiled sources on a x86-64 machine
>>> (bug #115).
>>
>> I'm not sure that that's the problem.
>
> It is.
>
>> Why would it segfault for Jean-Marc but
>> report an error for us?  Is his version not catching the syntax error and
>> crashing at some later stage?
>
> It happens if you install from the pre-generated sources in the tarball,
> without a previous version of the compiler available.  There seems to be
> some confusion about the number of tag bits to use on a 64-bit platform;
> I didn't get further than that.

I have had a quick further look:

[Switching to Thread 0x7f789895e6e0 (LWP 11051)]
0x0000000000c93c4f in lexer_module34 () at lexer.c:11833
11833           MR_COMPUTED_GOTO((MR_Unsigned) MR_r3,

At a guess, some of the code we generate for switches is not portable,
i.e. it doesn't respect --cross-compiling.  I'll try rebuilding the
source dist. C files using --no-smart-indexing and see if that makes the
problem go away.

Julien.