[mercury-users] Trouble compiling releases of the day on 64-bit ubuntu

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 5 08:56:06 AEDT 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 07:05:35AM -0800, Zack Brannigan wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> I attempted to compile several releases of the day, but I always get errors. An example is the Nov 1, 2009 release of the day, which I compiled on a 64-bit Intel system, running Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid). The commands I used to compile are:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local    --enable-erlang-grade
> make
> make install
>
> The error message I got is given below.

> make[2]: *** [list.c_date] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hsdl/src/mercury/again/mercury-compiler-rotd-2009-11-01/install_grade_dir.none.gc.decldebug/library'
> To clean up from failed install, remove /home/hsdl/src/mercury/again/mercury-compiler-rotd-2009-11-01/install_grade_dir.none.gc.decldebug
> make[1]: *** [install_grades] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hsdl/src/mercury/again/mercury-compiler-rotd-2009-11-01'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> I'd like to get to the point where I can use the erlang and java back-ends.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Zach,

The text that you've pasted doesn't actually say what the error is.  On the
first line, make is saying that there was an error compiling list.c_date, but
the actual error message may be above this line.

To capture the whole output run:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local    --enable-erlang-grade 2>&1 | tee log
make 2>&1 | tee -a log
make install 2>&1 | tee -a log

This will capture all the output in a file named 'log'.

There are a few problems that we've been having with recent versions of GCC,
we're using workarounds in ./configure that might not be working correctly.
But if this is the case you should be able to work around those problems with
./configure --with-cc=gcc-3.4 after making sure gcc-3.4 is installed.

See the FAQ for more help:

http://www.mercury.csse.unimelb.edu.au/information/doc-latest/mercury_faq/Installing.html#Installing

Good luck.