[mercury-users] Building Mercury-0.13.1 on Windows XP/Vista with current MinGW

Markus Morawitz markusmorawitz at gmx.de
Sun Jan 4 23:04:39 AEDT 2009

Hello,

I am trying to build the Mercury Release 0.13.1 on a Windows System
(XP and Vista)
using the current MinGW release:

   binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1.tar.gz
   gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar.gz
   mingwrt-3.15.1-mingw32.tar.gz
   w32api-3.12-mingw32.dev.tar.gz

and MSYS:
   MSYS-1.0.10.exe
   msysDTK-1.0.1.exe

My first try using the instructions found in README.MinGW always goes
wrong
producing an error captured within stdlib.h within the make build step.

Fortunately I was able to find a reason in the difference of stdlib.h
contained
in the former (used in README.MinGW) MinGW runtime package mingw-
runtime-3.9.tar.gz
and the current MingW runtime package (which I use) mingwrt-3.15.1-
mingw32.tar.gz.

In order to build Mercury with the current release of MinGW the macro
__NO_ISOCEXT
has to be set by gcc. Then the erroneous (wrt Mercury:-) part within
stdlib.h is set back
to the definition used in the former 3.9 version of the MinGW runtime.

So configure must be run as
   CC='gcc -D__NO_ISOCEXT' ./configure --prefix=c:/mercury

followed by
   make

and
   make install