[mercury-users] Problem installing Mercury on openSUSE 11.1

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Feb 1 14:28:09 AEDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Peter C. Chapin wrote:

> I'm a new Mercury user. I'm interested in both declarative programming
> and high integrity programming. It seems like Mercury has something
> important to say about both of those topics. I look forward to learning
> about it.
>
> I tried installing the 0.13.1 source on my shiny new openSUSE 11.1
> system. However, during 'make install' I got an error about a stack
> overflow "possibly due to unbounded recursion." (I can provide more
> specific information if necessary) I did install the system successfully
> on Cygwin, but Cygwin uses a considerably older version of gcc so
> perhaps that has something to do with it.

See thread on mercury-users here:

In particular, my post here:

may be helpful if you are using gcc 4.2 or 4.3.

> I notice that 0.13.1 is a bit old and I'm wondering if I'd be better off
> installing a recent "release of the day" instead.

In terms of being able to install on OpenSUSE 11.X there's not
really much difference.

There are have been a lot of changes since 0.13.1, (see the list here
for further information:
<http://www.mercury.csse.unimelb.edu.au/download/rotd.html>).

If you do choose to use the ROTD then you should also keep
the following caveat in mind:

 	Please treat ROTDs with caution -- although they are often very useful
 	and reasonably stable, they are not widely tested, and may have
 	unfinished features and rough edges

> Note that my system has 1 GB of RAM running inside a VMware virtual
> machine in case that makes a difference.

It shouldn't.

Julien.